The Galesburg Civic Art Center connects our community to visual arts through exhibitions, arts education programming, and events.
The Galesburg Civic Art Center was originally founded in February 1923 as the Galesburg Civic Art League, the Galesburg Chapter for the American Federation of the Arts, under the leadership of arts patron, Mr. George Dole. For the next three decades the League promoted the sale of art, presented free exhibitions and promoted art activities. The first piece donated to our permanent collection was acquired in 1923. The Art League had no permanent home, so they met in vacant storefronts, at the public library and at the Illinois Power building.
In 1946, the community lounge of the YMCA became the League’s first permanent home. By 1965, the community lounge was no longer available because of expansion plans for the YMCA. The building at 114 East Main Street was found, purchased and remodeled, and the organization began using the Galesburg Civic Art Center as its public name.
The Galesburg Civic Art Center continues to connect our community to visual arts through exhibitions in two galleries, art-making opportunities like Art After Dark, Senior Studios, and numerous community events, Studios Midwest Artist Residency Program as well as other special events throughout the year. We hope to see you soon!